22 June 2009

Nandos Hot Peri-Peri Crisps [Hot]


I have been looking forward to trying these crisps for so long! I think I first started searching for them in April, and am now so excited to actually have them! Many thanks to the people from Nandos who sent them to me.
I love the writing on the front of the packet of these crisps:
“These ones are hot. Think Mr Universe giving your tongue an almighty Chinese burn”.
I think it is a fun warning, but I have to admit it did make me approach them with caution! Firstly I decided to test the aroma coming from the bag, and the flavours I picked up on were lemon, paprika and garlic. In fact they have quite a vibrant smell up close, almost making your eyes water!
After a pause I built up the courage and tucked in. I do indeed have to say these crisps are hot! They have a good flavour mixed in with the heat though which consists of slightly sweet paprika, followed by a zingy lemon sharp taste and then of course the burn. I found that so long as you keep eating the crisps the spice remains hot, but in a tingly acceptable way, but if you stop - your mouth sets on fire! The heat lasts for a fair few minutes after you finish too. They are lovely crisps, and perfect for those people who are adventurous and love their chilli, but they are not for the timid!

7 comments:

NLi10 said...

So great for putting out in an unmarked bowl at parties then? :)

Have you completed the set now?

Are you moving onto the sauces - Debenhams has the whole BBQ range I think.

cinabar said...

Now an unmarked bowl would be naughty - but funny!

I'm sure I read somewhere that extra hot crisps are in development from Nandos - which should be interesting, if some what dangerous!

As for the BBQ sauces, consider me on to it! I also have some Jack Daniel's BBQ sauces I need to crack open!

Spectre said...

Nandos really do make (possibly) the hottest crisps... and the best! :-)

cinabar said...

I do have to same I am loving them!

Alan said...

Get yourself a pack of Blair's death rain crisps for a real hit! I too am eagerly awaiting nando's extrahot - the packaging on the hot ones seems to imply the existence but I've not found them yet.

cinabar said...

Alan - extra hot are coming early next year! So where can I find these Blair's death rain crisps?

Anonymous said...

I remember these crisps being my favourite as a kid, such a shame they were discontinued so quickly. I had to google this to check I didn't imagine them!! Thanks for posting!!