6 July 2009

Jell-o Instant Pudding and Pie Filling [Chocolate] (Selfridges)


Jell-o is a huge American brand that sell both jelly mix and instant pudding mixes, and is near impossible to find here in the UK. I was pleased to find a box of the chocolate Jell-o, as I thought that it sounded similar to Angel Delight.
Indeed this dessert is simply whisked with milk and left to set in the fridge just like Angel Delight, but it isn’t of of the same consistency at all. It is thicker and does not go really bubbly, and the colour of this chocolate pudding is also a lot darker than chocolate flavoured Angel Delight. My first mouthful I spent adjusting to the fact that it didn’t taste or feel like I was expecting, and after that the product really grew on me. It is sweeter, has a good chocolate hit and smooth consistency with a slightly nutty aftertaste and I really enjoyed it! Not what I was expecting but it made a lovely pudding, and I would love to try some of the other flavours available. I understand that there is even an Oreo variety out in the states, which I would love to get my hands on!

2 comments:

Jeanna said...

Angel Delight is such a better name though!
We were discussing Spoon Candy not too long ago. It was pudding with a chocolate (and maybe butterscotch) shell topping from the seventies. That stuff was the best.

cinabar said...

Not heard of Spoon Candy, but I did google it! Not sure why something like that wouldn't take off, sounds yummy.
We used to be able to get Angel Delight in all sorts of interesting flavours here in the UK, but these days you tend to find Strawberry, Chocolate and Butterscotch and thats about it. Shame really, I love this kind of dessert!