20 March 2010

Kit Kat Chunky Caramel {via Spectre} (American Version)


I’ve eaten my fair share of caramel chocolates in my time. Not to say I’m fat or anything, but let’s just say it hasn’t done my figure much good. Top of my league of caramel bars would have to be the faithful Cadbury’s Caramel bar. Not only because of the seductive bunny, but the caramel tastes sweet, and the Cadbury’s milk chocolate coating is in my humble opinion, easily the best chocolate in the world. Yes, Cinabar, you can keep your Milka, and other weird and wonderful brands of brown muck; Cadbury’s chocolate rules. Much to my confusion; the company were lately bought by the Americans. Who are famous for their rather odd tasting chocolate, Hershey’s to name but one. The only reason springs to mind is that our American cousins need Cadbury’s to show them how to make proper chocolate.

Cinabar was recently sent a Kit Kat Chunky Caramel bar by her friend Gigi in America. A few days back I munched down the British version of the Kit Kat Chunky Caramel, purely for research purposes, of course. And the fact that I only had 66p on me at the time. Not enough to buy the much preferred Cadbury’s Caramel bar. To be honest I wish I’d had the extra 3p. The bar was chunky, I’ll give it that, but for all the wrong reasons. It was way too hard! And where was the famous Kit Kat wafer? Where was the runny caramel? Disgraceful! So, when I was passed this American version I naturally wasn’t fussed about eating it. Expecting inferior chocolate, no gooey caramel or crunchy wafer, I stared at it for a while, put it in my office desk drawer, left it for much of the day and only opened it when I was seriously hungry. Oh my, does this bar have everything I was looking for! It has a full centimetre of crunchy wafer, and a nice thick layer of milk chocolate in the middle separating it from, yes; thick, gooey, yummy caramel. This bar tasted like a real caramel Kit Kat should taste, not a second-rate hand me down from some far off break away Russian state in constant fear of invasion. I was even able to appreciate a fine milk chocolate taste. Not as good as Cadbury’s mind, but still very nice indeed. So why is Nestle wasting their time dumping their substandard rubbish on us British? This proper Kit Kat Chunky Caramel would sell like hot cakes in this country. AND Kit Kat is licensed to the Hershey Company. Now what’s going on there??
By Spectre

No comments: