1 March 2011

HP Guinness Sauce (Tesco) [By @Cinabar]



I was quite excited to see this sauce. I do like the Guinness flavour, and many a steak and ale pie has taught me that it goes rather well with a meaty flavour. The bottle stood out nicely on the shelf next to the other HP sauces, with its dark Guinness logo taking up a good majority of the label. I always find regular HP a little bit too fruity for me, so I had hoped that if it was blended with some strong stout it would balance the flavour out.
The sauce was a good dark brown colour, with a nice rich smell, and I squeezed some onto the bread in preparation for a sausage sandwich. The sauce had a lovely strong flavour, and although there was the fruity aspect of HP present, there was a good strong rich Guinness taste too. It was a tangy, salty, meaty flavour, that even reminded me a little of Marmite, but it really worked. It was the malty aspect of the taste that came through the most and it is this that works so well with the meat flavour of the sausage. I think I will be just a little bit more heavy handed with the sauce next time too, it certainly doesn’t overpower the taste of the other items it just enhances them.
It was indeed perfect on a sausage sandwich, but one thing is for sure that little bottle of sauce has a lot of potential, from adding to stews to just eating it with steak and chips. I really wasn’t expecting to like it as much as this, but it really is my sauce of choice at the minute.
By Cinabar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the worst possible combination ever! It ruins the superb spicy taste of traditional HP brown sauce and puts me of Guinness for ever.....it is urine from Gods own satanic herd.....

cinabar said...

I have to confess that I'm not a big fan of regular HP, I'm a ketchup fan.
I found this version really nice - but I do understand that it was therefore different enough from regular HP to make me really love it.

PS Your comment made me lol ;-)