22 June 2011

Carte D’or Macadamia Night Ice Cream (Waitrose) [By @Cinabar]




I absolutely love the combination of chocolate and nuts, so was rather excited to find this ice cream. I like the name too, and discovered that the ‘night’ part of it was in reference to the fact the there are chocolate stars decorating it. In fact when I opened up the tub I thought the ice cream looked beautiful. There were swirls of ice cream, chocolate sauce and pretty chocolate stars decorating the top. It was really pretty and added a nice fun aspect to the dessert, and a bit of texture too.
The ice cream part consists of a pale cream coloured vanilla , and a very similarly coloured but ever so slightly darker macadamia nut ice cream. The vanilla is wonderfully creamy and sweet, with a decent tone of vanilla too. I felt that the macadamia ice cream was a bit mild, and not that different in flavour from the vanilla. There was a gentle nuttiness to it, and it even had a few nut pieces mixed in, but it was a bit lost as a specific nut flavour. It was however still creamy and tasty. The chocolate sauce is dark and sweet, and has a really rich chocolate taste, and is a pleasure to eat. When the sauce is combined with the ice creams it gave a lovely rich and creamy contrast, but also contributed to overpowering the delicate nutty taste.
I enjoyed every spoon of the ice cream, and felt that the chocolate sauce and vanilla were lovely together. It is just a bit of a shame that there wasn’t a stronger nut flavour as people expecting lots of macadamia may be disappointed.
By Cinabar

4 comments:

Ana said...

This is new to me, but I have recently tried another Carte d'Or ice cream decorated with chocolate stars. It was a chocolate cherry one and it was also lovely.

Paulham said...

We found loads of macadamias at the bottom of our tub.
I love macadamias as they are not too nutty so I found this to be a nice version of Carte D'or.

Lot-O-Choc said...

Ive been wanting to try this for ages, looks intriguing, love the look of the cherry blossom they are doing at the mment as well.

cinabar said...

Must must must find myself some of the cherry one!! Looks yum!